Thanks and Praises
I'm feeling extraordinarily thankful and fortunate.
Not just because we both are healthy and well - but also because we are eating really quite well, despite being in the middle of a global pandemic (and a national crisis / meltdown / hissy fit).
And there is no doubt that we are eating well because of two businesses - and I'd like to thank both of them.
First, and foremost, is Bi-Rite Market. We've been customers of Bi-Rite and friends of Sam (the owner) since they opened back in 1997. We were living a few blocks away at the time and their opening was a life-changing moment for us. Bi-Rite is one of the best grocery stores in the world, and is a fabulous and ethical business run by wonderful people. We would have been loyal to Bi-Rite forever, even without the COVID-19 crisis. But being able to easily purchase the incredible ingredients that Bi-Rite sources - during this crisis - is just amazing. I cannot describe how fortunate I feel - or how grateful we are to Sam and to all the Bi-Rite employees who are doing their jobs in the face of very real risk and under really extreme stress. When I look at all the lovely food we've been eating - I know that without Bi-Rite and the farmers, ranchers, purveyors and suppliers who they source from we'd have none of this. We will be forever grateful.
Secondly, without Instacart we'd be in a very different situation. We are incredibly privileged to be able to outsource our risk to the shoppers of Instacart - and I'm beyond grateful and thankful that people are willing to do this for us. We can joke all the time about getting 1lb of Habaneros instead of a single Habanero - but in all seriousness, without Instacart our stress levels would be so much higher and we'd be eating very differently to reduce our time in-store. Again... all the lovely food we cook and eat would be radically altered and diminished without the brave Instacart shoppers and delivery people. Thank you!
I hope that folks at Bi-Rite and Instacart see the pictures in this post and understand that each and every dish and each and every plate and meal exists because of them. Our gratitude is unmeasurable and incalculable.
Not just because we both are healthy and well - but also because we are eating really quite well, despite being in the middle of a global pandemic (and a national crisis / meltdown / hissy fit).
And there is no doubt that we are eating well because of two businesses - and I'd like to thank both of them.
![]() |
| Chef Tony's Miso-Cola Braised Pork Shoulder |
First, and foremost, is Bi-Rite Market. We've been customers of Bi-Rite and friends of Sam (the owner) since they opened back in 1997. We were living a few blocks away at the time and their opening was a life-changing moment for us. Bi-Rite is one of the best grocery stores in the world, and is a fabulous and ethical business run by wonderful people. We would have been loyal to Bi-Rite forever, even without the COVID-19 crisis. But being able to easily purchase the incredible ingredients that Bi-Rite sources - during this crisis - is just amazing. I cannot describe how fortunate I feel - or how grateful we are to Sam and to all the Bi-Rite employees who are doing their jobs in the face of very real risk and under really extreme stress. When I look at all the lovely food we've been eating - I know that without Bi-Rite and the farmers, ranchers, purveyors and suppliers who they source from we'd have none of this. We will be forever grateful.
![]() |
| Cajun-spiced Brined Pork Chop with Compound Butter |
![]() |
| Bucatini with Meatballs |
Secondly, without Instacart we'd be in a very different situation. We are incredibly privileged to be able to outsource our risk to the shoppers of Instacart - and I'm beyond grateful and thankful that people are willing to do this for us. We can joke all the time about getting 1lb of Habaneros instead of a single Habanero - but in all seriousness, without Instacart our stress levels would be so much higher and we'd be eating very differently to reduce our time in-store. Again... all the lovely food we cook and eat would be radically altered and diminished without the brave Instacart shoppers and delivery people. Thank you!
![]() |
| 808-style Shredded Pork Buns |
I hope that folks at Bi-Rite and Instacart see the pictures in this post and understand that each and every dish and each and every plate and meal exists because of them. Our gratitude is unmeasurable and incalculable.
![]() |
| Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Roast Root Veggies and Lentils |
![]() |
| Angel Hair Pasta with Mascarpone Cream, Lox and Caviar |
![]() |
| Pan-Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Maple-Apple Glaze |
![]() |
| Pickled Chili Peppers |
![]() |
| Butter-poached Halibut with Lentils du Pays |










<< Home