chris and valerie

Chris and Valerie's stuff

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Birthday Dinner from Lord Stanley

 Yesterday was Valerie's birthday. It was a good day - especially under the circumstances.

A big part of the goodness was dinner. I found out that Lord Stanley is offering "bespoke" special occasion meal kits - and we're fortunate enough to be in a place to afford the splurge.

The meal was exceptional. I've not been the biggest fan of COVID meal kits in general, but Lord Stanley is a major exception. The meal was spectacular in all ways, and I am deeply impressed by the thought behind what they are doing. Creating a "Michelin Starred Restaurant" type experience when you're having the customer prepare the meal is... daunting. But Lord Stanley nails it. If you live in the San Francisco area, are into food, have something to celebrate, and can afford the cost -- you absolutely should go for one of the Lord Stanley meals.

I want to particularly thank Catherine (general manager) and Rupert (chef) for the menu, the communication and assistance, for giving a fuck in the biggest way (and under some really hard circumstances), and for helping create a really special day.

Restaurant people are the best.

Chilled Tomato Essence with Scallop and Cucumbers

Tsar Nicoulai Caviar

Sweet Corn Salad with Toasted Nori, Confit Kombu, Tsar Nicoulai Caviar and Purslane
Young Beetroot with Mole Spice and Iberico Ham

Roasted Suckling Pig with Caramelized Apple Tatin and Jus
Peach "Bomb", Cocoa Genoise and Stone Fruit Sorbet